Egg Party Today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetshoplady, May 30, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I am so happy! Millie announced that she was going to lay an egg today! First time in months! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess the Delaware ladies are close enough to laying eggs too that she felt she could announce that she was going to lay her egg. The funny part was that when they all came in to the garage, they went over and tried to watch her lay her egg. She fussed at them.

She didn't say anything when she finished though. But I am so excited that she announced it. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    congrats on her starting back to laying.

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    She has been laying eggs, she just did it very quietly. She was alone for a couple months after her original flockmates were eaten by predators and for the past month maybe 6 weeks, the Delaware pullets and cockerels have been out with her.

If they would see her come off the nest, she would run back in and set on them for a while - like 15 minutes and then get off and go about her business. She's been a wonderful layer, lays almost every day.

I had asked in another thread if anyone thought this would be temporary or not and no one knew. It is a rather unique situation as she was the only chicken, then the only one laying.

I was also surprised that she squatted for me today too. So those cockerels still haven't won her heart. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by