egg pecker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepmommy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I posted a little earlier about holes in my eggs. I have seen the culprit hen actually peck a hole in the egg, not breaking the sac, but putting a hole in the shell. Why is she doing this? I don't want her to get the taste of the egg! She won't lay in the boxes, only on a bare stone window sill. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks!

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Chickens peck their eggs after they lay them to test the shell for strength. This is potentially the future home of their babies, they need to be sure it's going to hold up to the incubation process. You don't want her to start eating eggs tho... if that begins there are a lot of different methods to break her of it. For now I'd just keep an eye on her. Try supplementing with some calcium like oyster shell to thicken the shells.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Is that why they kept breaking open the plastic Easter eggs?! I had to glue them closed! [​IMG]

But, they never break a real egg. Their shells are hard as rocks, though -- I really have to crack with authority. Are you finding that your eggs break easily when you crack them into a pan? I have mine on a layer feed right now and still have a container of oyster shell available. They take some when they need it.

4. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    I don't think that they crack too easily. I feed them a mixture of 50 lbs pellets, 50 lbs scratch, and 10 lbs oyster shell. I put all of this into a hopper and feed the mixture. Should I be setting aside a container with just oyster shell? I'm just praying she won't break into the membrane!! Thanks a bunch!

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I free-choice my oyster shell and grit seperately from the feed.

6. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks. Maybe that's all I'm going to need to do... I was thinking of putting a small box on the sill too where she's preferring to lay. That's driving me nuts too. some of them will lay in their boxes and some all over the barn. They are free range and come and go, but it's like a freaking easter egg hunt every day!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by