egg pecking!

riverhomela

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
Mississippi
sad.png
Oh, help, please! I have a hen that is pecking the eggs. I gather them every day, twice a day, but sometimes I find one that has been pecked and the insides are gone. Can any of you tell me what I can do to stop this. I hate to kill the hen, but if it is necessary, I guess I will. Thank you for your advice...........
hmm.png

Live Well...

Love Much....

Laugh Often!

I had an Ameraucana that was damaging the egg on the pointed end. She wasn't eating the egg...thank goodness...once they start eating it, it's nearly impossible to break. I had to trim the pointed end off of her beak...just the tip. She had this weird hooked beak that would be damaging to anything...even another chicken. Ever since we took the end off, no more damaged eggs. Not sure if this will help or not...hope it does!

hu.gif

Thank you CBF, I had the culprit out one time in a separate pen, and my hubby thought she had learned her lesson so he told me to put her back in the coop. Well, undoubtly she didn't learn anything. I guess now that I have her in a separate pen again, I will fatten her up for Christmas dumplings. I appreciate you responding to my post. Chickens are like kids, just have to get into mischief, eh?

6 red sex link hens
1 buff Orp rooster
3 RIR hens
1 black sex link hen
2 game hens/ 5 baby chicks

15 cows
1 Amish buggy horse
23 pigs
1 border collie...PANDA
1 datchund...MONSTER

Back
Top Bottom