Egg pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knittycat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Are hens more or less likely to peck at an egg they've laid? I am constantly finding a bullseye crack on my blue eggs.

2. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Bump, and I guess I should clarify. I only have one hen that lays blue eggs. So should I assume she's giving it a good peck after she lays it (what the heck is *that*? reaction), or should I assume it's another hen pecking at an egg that doesn't look like hers? The blue eggs aren't the only ones who end up with a crack, the others have one now and then, but they are the most consistently cracked.

3. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Well, it's been more than a year since I posted this. The chickens went through their molt, and have started laying again. I'm still having this problem. Does anybody have any ideas?

4. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Cluck, Quack, YAK-YAK-YAK! Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Do the shells on the your blue eggs feel weaker than the shells on the other eggs? For the longest time, I thought I had an egg eater, but I found out after some observation that eggs with weaker shells were being broken in the hustle and bustle of normal nesting activities and not by an egg-pecking hen. You could try to up their calcium intake and see if that does anything..?

5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    I have given them oyster shell in the past. It didn't seem to make a difference. I do give them back their shells, all crushed up. They do seem weaker than the other eggs, but they're still stronger than the ones you get from the grocery store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by