Egg peeped, pipped, then quit and...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hobbley_Farm, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I think is dead. What do you suppose happened? Man, I'm just NOT a natural at this! I have had some trouble keeping the humidity constant and it has fluctuated GREATLY from 40 to 80. The temp is staying constant. Would the fluctuating humidity cause it to get to the point of breaking the shell and then die?

2. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I had one do the exact same thing yesterday.

3. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    really? any idea why? I still have mine in the bator. I have read too many stories of them not really being dead. Did you leave yours in the bator? Or did you open it up? I am scared that I think it's dean and it's just sleeping. But it's had a hole in it since early yesterday and no progress. Blah!

4. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Not really sure why. Mine is def dead. It's still in there cause I don't want to open the bator and risk the others. I have created a wire hook type thing that I can stick through the vent holes. Was able to open the hole a little more to see it was no longer breathing.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Somtimes it just happens b/c the chick isent strong enough and thats natures way of keeping flocks healthy !!

The hum could of had somthing to do with it.... It's hard to say !!

Whats your hum at now ??

Check this site out might be some info on there that can help you..... http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AA204

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree. Life's not easy. Best of luck with the rest of the hatch!

7. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Also, if they were shipped eggs, and they got cold in shipment then they can develop right up to hatch time and then die before pipping at all.

it's really dissapointing when they get that far then die on you.

meri

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Sorry if this is going off-topic....but do you know why it would effect them at the end of the hatch?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  9. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    Just to mention and first to tell you sorry. But the number one thing that causes chicks to pip then die is drowning from to high of humidity during incubation or to high humidity during hatching. If your humidity was high could very well be the cause

10. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I also find better hatch rates keeping that 50-55% humidity range until the last 3 days.Then I try to give it a bit of a boost....more like 70 or so.
    when I'd tried higher humidity throughout the 21 days I had a number quit after piping and think they might just drowned. And that was a first for me.
    Also, try to keep yopur bator in a place where the temp/humidity doesn't change much. My basement is the p[erfect place. It stays near the same all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by