egg pic and a few questions! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Aug 13, 2010.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I got my first egg! Im pretty certain it was from my cochin, because I think my RIR is still too young. i took this picture of it next to a large store bought egg.

Do cochins always lay white eggs? she is black. dont know if that makes the egg color vary?

Also- she is a cochin bantam so i was told, is this the size her eggs will always be because she is bantam, or is it because she is young and shes just started laying?

Do the smaller bantam eggs taste any different? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Congrats!!! I'm not sure about the taste or size difference. The only bantam chicken I have is a roo...but I do know in standard size chickens their eggs tend to start out small and the older they get then they get a little bigger.

Congrats on the first egg!!! [​IMG]

3. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    Hi, its Cochin387. Generally you can tell what color egg a hen lays by the color of its earlobes. If a hen has red earlobes it lays brown eggs if a hen has white earlobes it will lay white eggs and if a hen has blue earlobes it will lay either blue or greenish blue eggs. Cochins lay brown eggs. Look at the standard hens that you have and see which ones have white earlobes and you will find the right hen. Then look at your bantam hens that have red earlobs. Also the first egg is from a standard hen and the second one is fron a bantam hen. Hopefully my advice helps you.

4. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Quote:Thank you so much you answered who lais the first egg! It was my oldest Bantam and I was thinking it was the PBR. Well what ever I ate it last night over easy and it was wonderful all two bites [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    well my lil andalusian layed her 1st 2 eggs this week and they were tiny the 2nd egg was even smaller then the 1st I dont think she is a bantam, but I guess it is possible that all my pullets are bantam, but I dont think they breed bantam andalusians, and its also possible that she isnt pure bred I doubt any of my girls are, but I love them all the same. so anyway just because the egg is small doesn't mean its a bantam could just be a small 1st egg

6. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    so all cochins lay brown eggs? so it could be my RIR pullet? i was told she is a bantam too.. heres 2 pics, i have no idea how old she is, i am new to all of this. does her size look like she is big enough to be laying? and would a RIR have a white egg, i thought they would be brown? this is a mystery!! i really thought it was the cochin. i dont have any other hens, just those two, the rest turned out to be boys! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the pullet, the roo infront of her.
    [​IMG]

7. ShariChickabee

ShariChickabee New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    I am new to this too but I have done a lot of reading. Your RIR has white earlobes so she will lay white eggs. I have a RIW with red earlobes that lays brown eggs. The cochins lay a tinted or yellowy brown color egg usually but I can't see the color of her earlobes in the picture. Here is a great reference for chicken breeds, egg production, egg color, etc.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#a

Hope that helps!

Good luck! I got my first eggs this past weekend!!! So exciting!

8. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    very interesting! thanks for sending that link, i wouldnt have thought to look there.
    it says that my RIR bantam with a rosecomb would have white to cream eggs, and tiny. exactly what i found!
    it didnt say anything about a cochins eggs varrying in color because of different color combs or anything, just said even bantams would have brown eggs.
    i thought my cochin was the one singing yesterday! and i thought she was older than my pullet, so now i wonder why she hasnt layed yet. hmm

so one more question, now that i know my rir's eggs will stay quite small, will my bantam cochin lay a regular size eggs or small ones? the chart didnt say..

i think im going to have to get some standard size hens once i get rid of my 2 roo's!

9. Cochin378

Cochin378 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2010
    All bantams lay small eggs.

10. ShariChickabee

ShariChickabee New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Sorry, I didn't realize your RIR was a bantam. They will always lay small eggs. A standard RIR lays above average sized eggs

Also the color of the egg is based on the color of the earlobe, not the comb. Cochins have red earlobes, therefore their eggs will be brown "tinted yellowy brown". As far as I know, all cochins are bantam. They are considered a fancy breed and are all smaller in size than standards. They do make great brooders and foster mothers. That is the only reason I got mine. Although, she is a lavender which makes her quite unique, at least to me as a beginner! I had never heard of such a thing!

Hope this helps a little more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by