Egg pipped at the wrong end! HELP

LDev

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2013
Scotland
I have an egg pipped at the wrong end (This is my first hatch but am using a broody hen not an incubator) It externally pipped about 22 hours ago but has not progressed. I don’t want to interfere if I can help it. Experienced hatchers ....how long would you leave it?
It is still alive and it’s beak is out and breathing.
UPDATE ...* it’s progressed a little now so am definitely leaving well alone. Obviously it missed the internal pip part of the hatch so I knew it would probably take longer. It’s 2 days after the first chick 👍🏻

Last edited:
Chicks often pip the wrong end. I had two bought eggs out of the six pip the wrong end. All hatched and grew to be happy, healthy birds.
Glad he seems to be progressing. Let me know how it goes.

Chicks often pip the wrong end. I had two bought eggs out of the six pip the wrong end. All hatched and grew to be happy, healthy birds.
Glad he seems to be progressing. Let me know how it goes.
Well, after that tense wait he/she went super fast at the end and hatched within about an hour of starting progress again. Glad it’s out because the hatch started on Friday afternoon and Mum is starting to show the 2 older ones what food is (I left some moistened chick starter in beside her for now so she’d definitely stay put). There’s 2 unhatched (today is day 23) so will leave her for now but reckoning they’re not viable. I have candled them but still not sure. They’ve got full air cells but can’t see any internal pipping or movement on one and the other may have pipped internally but again it’s not obvious. It’s getting pretty late for more now but pleased with 6 out of 8 :)

That's good. Are the other eggs fertile? Are they dark?
Did you buy the eggs or hatch your own? They seem to pip more the wrong side if they're shipped or moved about too much. I've never had a pip the wrong end from my own hen's eggs, only bought ones. I'm sure your hen will be very proud to have six beautiful chicks. I'd like to see a photo of the chicks when the hen lets you. :D

Did you buy the eggs or hatch your own? They seem to pip more the wrong side if they're shipped or moved about too much. I've never had a pip the wrong end from my own hen's eggs, only bought ones. I'm sure your hen will be very proud to have six beautiful chicks. I'd like to see a photo of the chicks when the hen lets you. :D
Yeah they were fertile so not sure what’s hone on there. I bought them but they were picked up directly from the farm and all laid within the previous 3 days. There’s 3 breeds hatched.... 3 Lavender Araucanas, 1 Welsummer and 2 Indian Game/Welsummer crosses. I’ve got some pics of the earlier ones 👍

Attachments

• C5AD7D03-6BC1-4EFE-BF45-930D8B04988E.jpeg
    C5AD7D03-6BC1-4EFE-BF45-930D8B04988E.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 1
  • FBAB7F6C-9D32-4B45-AAAE-1CC65536A9E8.jpeg
    FBAB7F6C-9D32-4B45-AAAE-1CC65536A9E8.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 2
  • EC1116AE-9B1E-47DC-BB08-99AFC4596859.jpeg
    EC1116AE-9B1E-47DC-BB08-99AFC4596859.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 4
I just recognized the Welsummer chick and realized it was the same one you were wondering the gender of. :lol:
They're so cute!
Yeah can you tell it’s my first hatch 🤣nerves are shot to pieces hahaha! The Indian Game Welsummer cross is properly dark chipmunk with really dark eyeliner. The Lavenders are gorgeous but very fast so getting pics is nigh on impossible lol!

Well I've hatched a good many times now, but I'm still nervous every time.
It's definitely way better hatching your own chicks than buying them. I prefer letting my hen hatch to using the incubator, too as it's less stressful.

It's definitely way better hatching your own chicks than buying them. I prefer letting my hen hatch to using the incubator, too as it's less stressful.
I don’t have a rooster so unfortunately not an option. I’ve got a home for any boys that hatch out of this lot so that’s not a problem. I actually did it because I needed to add to my little flock but couldn’t get any hens thanks to lockdown (people panic bought chickens because others panic bought eggs lol!) and I have an almost permanently broody Light Sussex so I gave in to her lol! It’s definitely a learning curve 😉and fingers crossed I get at least one hen 🤞🏻

Managed to get a couple of pics of 2 of the Lavenders and the Indian Game cross 😁

Attachments

• 37FBFC4E-307D-4481-B3FF-895D3FA3BBC4.jpeg
    37FBFC4E-307D-4481-B3FF-895D3FA3BBC4.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4E5F5E3D-1B73-400B-9BB1-D02FFB490367.jpeg
    4E5F5E3D-1B73-400B-9BB1-D02FFB490367.jpeg
    771.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom