Egg pipped out of wrong end, intervention needed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tebs78, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Just wondering if it will hatch out normally or do I need to make a bigger hole for it?

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had a few pip at the "wrong" end and they made it. I did not help them. [​IMG]

3. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Okay I was getting ready to leave teh house and saw the egg and wondered if I should leave or not. I'll give it some time then.. Thanks

4. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    well the little bugger hasn't made any more progress all day. I did however come home to one yellow fuzzy butt running around in the bator and unfortunately he bumped into another egg that had pipped out and it turned it over and the chick died, sighhhh.

5. Harley's girl

Aww. Sorry! [​IMG] I am really considering using the egg carton hatch this time. I have eggs due on the 20th and 24th! I think it would be so much easier than trying to keep the eggs form going in all different directions! [​IMG] Hopefully your backwards guy gets it figured out soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Well my backwards little feller figured it out sorta. I cracked the egg part all the way around the top and left the membranes intact, just peeled away the shell. I made sure he had a big enough hole that he could breath and when I got up this morning there he was! YAY. Now I have an egg with NO pip, but as of 3:30am when I got up to check on the other I could hear it peep inside, why isn't it hatching? Its on day 22 now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  7. Harley's girl

I have had chicks hatch out at 26 days!!! As long as you can hear him peeping I wouldn't worry!! [​IMG]

8. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    I knwo longer heard it peeping so I decided to investigate and it had died in its shell [​IMG]

9. Harley's girl

Awww, [​IMG] I am so sorry! [​IMG] Poor little guy!! [​IMG]

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Sorry about your last little one. I am glad the backwards one made it's way out. I just finished my hatch and the last 3 didn't make it out of their shells. With the others in the bator they were getting knocked all over the place. I think that I might try the carton this next go around to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by