1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg position during 3 final days

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    should the eggs be left in egg flats with the point side down or should i lay them down flat on the incubator floor?

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

IMO it depends on what position they were in before. If you had them in a turner with the large end up I would do the same for hatch. If you had them laying down and turned them by hand I would lay them down. I did a hatch that were incubated large end up and laid them down for hatch and they didn't do so good. Good luck with you hatch. Don't let the hatchaholic bug get ya. LOL

3. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    too late. just bought my 2nd incubator. i have about 30 duck eggs and 30 guinea eggs awaiting to get into the incubator. current incubator is full and i will be moving eggs due to the new incubator for lockdown. also building a hatching incubator out of a watercooler which will be ready tomorrow.

4. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington

Hatching is very addictive. Two incubators and a hatcher later... Hubby just told me off for spending my whole paycheck on hatching eggs. Actually, it was $100 on hatching eggs, filled car with gas, brought him beer, had lunches at work and paid cell phone bill, but somehow the hatching eggs are the problem!

I blame the gas prices.

5. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Well, i have no plans to keep all the chicks. i may keep a couple of female ducks and about 10 guineas, but the rest are going up for sale. it is about time the birds started earning their keep (especially the ducks :) ) since i had no luck selling the hatching eggs i will just have to hope i can sell all the chicks. Luckily around there guineas are in high demand for tic control and the local seed&feed will buy the ducks for like $2 ea.

i am simgle, so i don't have to worry about anyone nagging me about the money i spend.

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    So if you have them in a turner, fat end up, how do you achieve that during hatching without the turner (I'm removing the turner for lockdown)?

Should I dig out that empty egg carton I just tossed?

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Thats what I do. Just trim down the egg carton as much as you can and still have the eggs fat end up. I've tried different methods but this one works best for me.

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Duck and goose eggs do better laying on their sides for hatching. Hatching eggs standing up is more common with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by