Egg Position which side is correct?Also hatching duck and chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken7777, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hello I have an incubator full of Pekin Duck Eggs. They are developing beautifully and all are fertile and growing i have a very great rate in the fertility.
    I am wondering though what is the right position to have them in the incubator. Should I have them facing the way they face in egg cartons or on their sides.
    I have seen many people using egg turners who have eggs facing the way like the do when they are in egg turners so I hope I am not doing it incorrectly.

I have an X and an O on each side top and bottom so I just move them from top to bottom, bottom to top when i turn them manually each day.

Well i would appreciate the help and assistance.

By the way are duck eggs harder to hatch than chicken eggs? and what do I have to watch out for in hatching chicken eggs compared to duck eggs?
    I am wanting to incubate some chicken eggs soon so I want to know exactly what to do once I have them so i get a great hatching rate.

Thank you very much and God bless!

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

if you dont have a turner, then just set them on their sides, mark 1 side ( not the top or bottom) with an x,, opposite side mark with o ,, say you start with the X showing, roll them till you get half way between the X and the O ,, then next turn, turn till O is showing. do this at least 3 times a day,, or more,, some say do it and "odd" amount of times a day, some say it dont matter.

3. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Is there any complication if I havent turn them that way?
    What is the main reason to turn them on their sides rather than on their tops?

thanks again for the help!

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the "pointy" end of the egg is the bottom,, the "rounder" end is where the airsac is,, when using a turner, you put them in pointy end down, and the turner tilts it 30 degrees both ways. i have no idea if the way you turned them will be bad,,, how long has you been doing it this way? if only a day or 2, i would keep on cooking them until you candle them,,, and im talking from "chicken eggs", i havent tried duck.... yet,,, but i think the only difference is how many days,, and humidity,, but not even sure of that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by