egg position

Bat Cave Silkies

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Bat Cave, NC
I've had chickens on & off for over 30 years; I've always positioned the egg in the incubator on its side. Lately, I've noticed in some illustrations/pics that the eggs are placed in the incubator on end, with the big end up. Is this something new? or have I been in error all these years?

nothing really new...it is used when you are have something to hold them in and want more room...they were hatched on their sides for a long long time...the thing is that whe you have the pointy end up...it messes with the survace area to volume ration for gas exchange...

you haven't done anything wrong...you got chicks..right?

Either way is fine. I do it kind of sideways because my 'bator was designed that way.
smile.png

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I always had good hatch rates, decades ago when I turned them by hand and they were laying on their side.

With my new chickens, and automatic turner, my hatch rates are almost nil. Of course, it might be the rooster, he doesn't seem to "connect", he has trouble with traction and I'm not ready to try AI.

So with this next batch, think I'll try standing them on end, in the turner...
What about when I move them to the hatching incubator?? do I need to leave them positioned on their ends, or can they lie on their side?

you can put them on their sides to hatch...

you might try sending him to one of those dating instructors...maybe his lines are bad

traction issues
lau.gif
cleats?

Teach---if I knew how to use the Smilies, I'd show the one laughing!! dating service...

No, he's a Silkie, with HEAVY foot feathering...he has cooperative hens, he just "slides" off of them without hitting the right spot.... So sad

if you aren't going to be showing him...trim them. I do it with several of my pigeons. They knock eggs out of nests and such if you don't

they also make some spray glue stuff...wide recievers use it to help grab balls...just an idea
wink.png

Half the time I am helpful, half the time I am being silly, and the rest of the time i am leeping...
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom