Egg positioning!? and raising humidity.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kikidee, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I have a styrofoam still air incubator without autoturner so my eggs just lay flat on the floor of the incubator. Is this bad? I says when I put them in to slightly push down the smaller end of the egg but it just goes back to being balanced on its side...

Also, I filled the middle well for humidity and it was at 50%, later I added more water and it went down to 43% (i guess making it deeper made it harder to evaporate) so I added a sponge and now its at 50% [​IMG] I can't seem to get it higher than 50!

2. stitch81

stitch81 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Check out the thread on dry incubation. It seems that if the humidity is too high during incubation, the chick grows too big and has trouble getting out of the egg. Also, I believe there are potential problems with the chick drowning if the humidity is too high as well. I'm using the dry incubation method, my humidity level is right around 38%. You don't want a high humidity level during incubation, but during the last 3 days, you'll want it around 70%.

As for the eggs laying on their side, this is fine, just make sure you are rotating them.

Anyone else want to chime in on this? I'm a newbie, but this is what I have been told and have read.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:thanks for the advice, but I realized I forgot to say I'm hatching duck eggs, and by what many people have said, they will most likely die with dry incubation unlike chicks.

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    My eggs are on there side all the time and I hand turn them all three times a day. Right now I have 47 eggs in there right now and it is full. My incubator is a old cooler that I have laying around, so far I have two very good hatches at 11/13 and 13/16.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by