Egg Predator - MINE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mylegger, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mylegger

mylegger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    So, after lots of observation, I have singled out my egg trouble maker. Strong suspicions, but caught her right in the act today. I've been watching, and so has she...really egg hunting. She would literally stalk the other chickens while they would lay and if they didn't get off the nest quick enough she was attacking them so she could get to the egg. Once she got a taste of egg, She was like a security cop checking every ten minutes for some more "goodies". Suffice it to say, she is now on the menu. I know this behavior can become a bad habit for the others, so what needed to be done, has been done. I just hope I caught it it time. I feel a little sad about taking a healthy chicken, but at the same time, I'm raising these for the eggs and simply can't have that going on.

2. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    Totally understand what you are going through. Thought we had nipped it in the bud a few months ago - making sure we had many places for them to eat and drink. But just two days ago, the same one (she had quit for over 3 months) was back at it. She even took all the eggs two of my broodies had been sitting on [​IMG] She is now in solitary confinement until we can take care of her. Our rooster had become very vigilant about chasing her around and not letting her eat - so she found that the nest box area was a safe place for her and then she remembered there was food there too. I feel sad and mad all at the same time.

3. mylegger

mylegger Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Quote:I'm sorry you're going through this too:( I feel the same way: mad and sad at the same time. I check and get the eggs often throughout the day, but I just knew I couldn't possibly compete with her in egg collecting duties, with her checking every 10 minutes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by