Egg prices and DH's oppinion UHG

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by feather and mountain man, Apr 2, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    DH does not want to sell our eggs to coworkers for $2 a dozen. Cause you can buy eggs at the store for $1.15 so he thinks we should not charge more than $1.25 I said if they want to pay $1.25 for eggs they can eat store bought eggs and not farm fresh eggs. $2 is the going rate in our area for farm fresh and it only clears our cost by $.75 so he just want to give them away what about all my work I put into them. I am so frustrated with him right now not to mention the whole eggcarton thing he said she will give us egg cartons well la de da cause I can't sell eggs in store brand egg cartons I by my own cartons. I help how am I supposed to get the point across without agruing cause I don't argue.

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Tell him the facts that you have to use your egg cartons. Tell him to look at the price of "free range" or "organic" eggs in the store. I would also just say my chickens my price. Good luck.

3. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Quote:I think the price should be whatever the market demands in your area. There is probably an acceptable range, and if people are willing ot buy them for $2, go for it! $1.25 sounds so, so low to me. [​IMG]

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I recently went up to $2.50, Some people said "Well I guess I will just get them at the store." I said " Okay while you are out stop by the feed store and price laying crumbles and see if I am trying to make money off of eggs." I just like to get enough out of the eggs to take good care of the chickens, and around here the cheap eggs have went up major so I dont think I am asking too much.

5. hickchick55

hickchick55 Chillin' With My Peeps

My neighbors wanted $2, but I didn't think that was enough, so I always gave them $3 (or cookies made with the eggs). They had to get out of it, so that is why I now have peeps. IMO, once they taste your eggs, they will be happy to pay.

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Well...tell him that in order to make a profit and still ask that price for eggs....you need more hens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, and of course some of them have to be Marans, and EE's, because colorful eggs are just so special. [​IMG]

7. Fool

Fool Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    If he wants to give something away at cost because they are friends he should just give them away free of charge.
    I've learned in the past that giving away product (work related/not poultry), that appreciation is not related to giving away something cheaply.
    If they don't want it because it costs .50 to 1.00 more than what they would pay at the store, they don't see the added value of your product.
    In effect, they are unaware of your efforts and are probably taking the eggs because they feel an obligation to use your eggs.
    Your man should just plainly state that this is the cost of your eggs, if they choose to buy 'em at wall mart don't be offended. It is common that people just don't understand what goes into a product.
    OR give 'em the buddy/family discount = no charge

8. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My father in law tells me all the time an egg is an egg, they taste the same. I get so mad. The thing is he doesnt cook so he has never tried to flip a grocery store egg, the thing is watery and most time sunny side up is out of the question. Also cakes do so much better with eggs from my hens. I also remind him that I know exactly what that hen made that egg with because I fed it to her, Can he say the same about those grocery store eggs. Thank goodness his wife has a brain!

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    My DD was talking to a friend and people where she live are not allowed chickens so they are willing to pay as much as $4.50 a dozen for fresh backyard chickens and more for duck eggs. I am so happy I can't wait to start selling my eggs.

10. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    If you go to a whole foods store or specialty store, you will pay a lot more than $2 for free range eggs. I say $2 is a very fair price. I've seen a dozen eggs priced at $4 in high-end store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by