Egg prices

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hunterblu123, Nov 11, 2010.

1. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    I'm in the SW Ohio area. What is the going price for free range, antibiotic free chicken eggs?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I can't speak for your area, but in UT they are going for about $3.00 a dozen.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Check the farm and garden section of CL in your area. Egg prices vary a lot not only from state to state, but urban and rural as well. There are always several listing for eggs in my local CL so I think that would be a good place to get an idea of what they're going for in your area.

4. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/oh -> (pick area) -> For Sale -> Farm & Garden -> search "eggs"

(p.s. No commercial egg laying hens are given hormones. Ever. Some egg cartons say that the eggs are hormone free; however, this is true for all eggs in commercial egg production in the United States.)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    We sell ours for $3 a dozen.

It seems that some folks are willing to pay more when they know how well the hens are treated.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I sell a dozen for three bucks. But there worth alot more.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Oh yeah...I'd think you'd get more if you find customers in urban/suburban, who have less access to fresh products...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  8. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    We are selling ours at $3. per dozen after our customers, told us that $2. wasn't enough

9. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    thanks that give me an idea of were to start.

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Right now I'm getting slightly over 2 dozen eggs a day and I'm paying about $30 every 2 weeks for feed so I figure if I'm selling my eggs for $2 a doz I'm breaking even. Not looking to recover my total investment--that might be impossible--but at least taking in enough to maintain the birds. BTW, I don't sell all 28 doz. eggs over a two week period, we probably use or give our kids half of them.

BTW, I could probably get more for the eggs but I'd rather people get and used them. If I were to sell at a farmers' market or stand where there were a constant flow of customers I would go for the $3 to $4 price but I rely on people coming to the house as they need them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by