Egg Prices

gltrap54

Songster
13 Years
Mar 26, 2010
I know egg prices are relevant to a number of factors, location being a big part of it, but I refuse to all but give my eggs away to complete strangers...... I have 6 golden comets that lay 6 eggs most days & I feed organic (not cheap @ .38/Lb) as well as the girls free range some, so I'm asking $3.00/Dzn. I sell a few, but most of my eggs are given to family & friends. My SO suggested lowering the price, but I'm too pig headed to agree. I feel accepting $1.50/Dzn is an insult...... What's BYC take on this?

I calculated roughly how much my eggs cost per dozen and I calculated that it costs me about $2.00 for my chickens to produce 1 dozen so I planning on charging $4.00 at the farmers market and I am going to be selling to a lady 250 eggs each week at $3.25 per dozen in the spring. I wish organic feed wasnt so expensive here so I could afford it. A $1.50 is too low I think Stick with your $3.00 once people try them I think you will get steady customers. Dont sell your self short.

Thanks!......... Guess I just needed to hear it from other BYC members. I have a farmer down the road that sells for $1.50/Dzn & I'm sure that's where a lot of folks buy theirs. So be it... I don't produce enough eggs to make a great deal of difference, but I just wish folks could see the difference in egg quality.....
roll.png

It depends on your area, but here, I charge $4 a dozen. We are "mostly organic with delusions of grandeur".

My customers brawl over who gets the extra eggs---since the farmer's market less than a mile from my house charges $6 for organic eggs.

Improve your marketing! Look at the amazing claims for soap. It is just soap and stink. The rest is marketing.

Maybe the locals will pay more for eggs that come from free range happy chickens or fertilized eggs or unfertilized eggs or eggs with a cool box.

Quote:
What makes your eggs better quality than the farmer's down the road?

Organic feed for one........... Don't know much about his operation, but you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer large brown egg that the Golden Comet produces.......... JMHO......

Quote:
What makes your eggs better quality than the farmer's down the road?

Organic feed for one........... Don't know much about his operation, but you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer large brown egg that the Golden Comet produces.......... JMHO......

Organic feed does not guarantee "better" egg quality. What about your feed program improves egg quality?

What is "nicer" about a Golden Comet egg?

You don't have to answer these questions here, but give them some thought and think critically about the answers you give yourself. If you cannot explain, in objective -- rather than subjective -- terms why your egg quality is better than his why would local consumers be any different? If YOU don't know what makes your eggs better, they most certainly won't. And very few people are willing to pay more for something they don't perceive as better quality.

I agree about marketing your eggs at the price you want. Some have labels (or signs at farmer's markets) saying organic feed, or free range, or whatever you feel good about with your own birds. Perhaps your birds have better living conditions than the neighbor down the road?

Back
Top Bottom