Egg Prices

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gallinae mater, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Gallinae mater

Gallinae mater New Egg

Sep 7, 2012
    My chickens have just started laying enough eggs for me to sell them. I searched threads on this forum to see what everyone else is selling for, but the most recent threads were posted four years ago. Prices of feed -and even chicks- have gone up since then. Does anyone one know what the going rate is for genuinely free-range, fresh chicken eggs? And what must I charge to break even on feed and supplies?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].

Prices will vary greatly depending upon your area. True Free Range eggs go for 5+ a dozen around here. Someone here sells free range organic eggs for 18 a dozen.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Welcome to BYC.

Actually, this question gets asked and a thread forms on this subject almost weekly. LOL

The answers are always the same. Soooo much depends upon your local market conditions and your own social networking, that answers given are almost irrelevant. There simply is no meaningful answer to your question. Sorry.

Some locales support up to $5 a dozen while other folks, especially in rural areas drowning in hen keepers and eggs cannot fetch $2. See? There's no answer to "the going price of eggs" as it is completely dependent upon local factors. See what happens and enjoy your flock.

Again, Welcome to BackYardChickens. [​IMG]

4. BYChickenKeepN

BYChickenKeepN New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    Illinois
    I think it all really depends on where you live and what they're going for in your area. I know around here, I've seen farm fresh eggs for about $2 per dozen, and then free-range and organic eggs for about $3 per dozen.
    I would check your local newspaper and local craigslist to see if other people in your area are selling eggs and what they charge.

As for if that's enough to cover your costs, sorry, i have no idea!

5. silkensunlight

silkensunlight Out Of The Brooder

Free range eggs in my area go for anywhere between 2.50 to 4.50 a dozen. I charge 3.00 for mine. As far as figuring out how much they are costing you, this is how did it. I didn't figure the cost of their coop or anything because figure it will be a permanent structure. So when I opened a new bag of feed I marked in my notebook. Each day I wrote down the number of eggs I collected. At the end of the food bag I divided the cost of my feed by the number of eggs to get the cost per egg. x12 gives you the cost per dozen. Another thing I did when I first started was went around to some of our local stores and found out the price of eggs. A dozen large brown eggs goes for 3.69 in my local shop. So when my customers get free range for less than regular eggs they are really happy!

6. Gallinae mater

Gallinae mater New Egg

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks! I think prices where I am are closer to what you have in your area. I've decided to go for $3.50/dz, that seems to be a happy medium because fresh eggs at the grocery store are almost $6, while some that are 'supposedly' farm fresh at Braum's is sold for $2.50. I figure that will offset the cost of feed and give me a little profit. Thanks everyone!

7. Sphynxcrazy

Sphynxcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    What I do is check craigslist. Even 10 miles the price can go up or down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by