Egg Pricing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zumzumfoxy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Hey all!

What would the going price be for a dozen 2z eggs? [​IMG]

Thank you much! We're getting 5 eggs a day. I just boiled up 14 and have 12 left over- enough to start offsetting the cost of feed. ^^

I'm loving the eggciting stuff going on over here!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

All you'll need is one or two buyers who really appreciate fresh eggs. Don't take on more customers than you can service. It takes some management to always have that dozen, every Friday that the "Smiths" want.

Prices vary sooooooo much by immediate locale. It truly is up to you and your customer. We get $2.50 or we won't be in the Biz. I'd love to get $3, but the market here just doesn't bear. Not yet anyhow.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Also you didn't list your management practices. Free range or organic feed normally gets more.

I get $3 / dozen

I am not certified organic but I use organic, non-GMO corn, no-soy feed. and they free range 2 hours per day. I don't use any medications or such unless absolutely needed (so far adults have needed nothing).

This is actually cheaper than the cage free brown eggs in the store. I also have a beautiful rainbow coloration with each customer getting a green egg, blue egg, speckled brown, cherry egg and some regular brown.

I can't make them fast enough so to speak.

My husband has a girl at work that just has brown eggs, still farm fresh; I think she is only getting $1.50 per dozen.

I'd start high and work your way lower as it is hard to raise the price later. If you end up with too many you can always lower the price or donate to the food bank.

Others (I have not done this) also give a dozen away to a potential buyer so they can see the difference for themselves. If your chickens get greenery either through you giving it to them or free ranging the difference will be obvious looking at the eggs as the yolk will be much darker.

4. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I get $3/dozen. Its close to $4/dozen in the store. My brown layers free range and my easter eggers are cooped up because the EE roo is pretty mean and doesnt get along with other roosters hehe! Mine get a grain scratch, scraps or leftovers and a laying mash on a daily basis. Nothing medicated. And then whatever they can find outside when they're free ranging. They get bugs, grubs, cherries off the tree.............and they quite enjoy my horsey poop pile! I have no problem selling them...once in a while I'm stuck with a couple dozen but someone pops by and asks usually! I get about 4 eggs/day. 2 brown and 2 blue [​IMG] I keep the silkie eggs for myself hahaha!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Price will be different in all areas. Some areas are as low as $1.50 while other areas are as high as $5.00. Just depends on if fresh farm eggs are popular in your area or not.

6. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, everyone! [​IMG] You've always got such great advice. Organic eggs here go for $5 a dozen or $3.50 at the cheapest in the market.

@Kizanne: I feed them greens from what I can forage around here in the woods, fresh berries, leftover bread, their chicken feed (Blue Seal), bugs & worms. I don't have them on any medicine anymore now that they're adult and laying eggs (prior, they'd been exposed to cocci thanks to an unethical seller at a local swap and had developed it). They also free range.

7. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Its all in the way you market. Lovingly raised, free range, organic (if you can prove it), higher in omega-3 (which they are even if you dont add extra flax), yada yada yada.

Mine goes like this...Organic, free range, omega-3 rich, happy hen laid eggs in a rainbow of colors. All my hens are fed a locally grown feed that has been organically farmed within 100mile radius. Feed does not contain GMO, corn, soy, or animal by-products. All my hens are family pets before production birds. Ladyhawk, Tito, Ladybird, Bluebell, Buffy, Larry, Curly, Mo, Goldie, Hank, Big Bertha, Porscha, Fran, Pattie, Betty Lou, Prada, Wellie, and the Reed Family thank you for supporting local families.

Sometimes I will throw in a tidbit about how much healthier fresh farm raised eggs are for you, I have stickers with head shots of each of the girls and put them on the inside lid so they can see who laid exactly which egg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  8. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Quote:tell people that plus that they have a run to get outside. You'll be selling eggs faster than you know. I just packed up my 2 1/2 dozen for work tomorrow. I didn't have eggs Monday cause I made angel food cake which took a whole dozen and quiche which took 5 eggs. And I had people coming up and saying ' Hey where are my eggs' LOL. I didn't think I'd have people ready this early this week but I think some of my customers have started eating more eggs!!

Most people will pay extra just to know you let them be chickens, treat them well and feed them well.

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, location and management has a lot to do with what the market will bare.

My hens eggs:
    Bantam size 1.0 oz to 1.5 oz.
    Produced on Organic feed, garden trimmings, kitchen scraps
    Pet quality conditions for the hens

I sell by the half dozen, and I charge $1.50. I have a $0.25 deposit included in that for the recyclable P.E.T. plastic egg carton, but most of the time it doesn't get returned. But I only sell to folks I know, and since I have two regular customers, I don't have any extras for new customers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by