EGG PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nannie, Aug 3, 2013.

1. nannie

nannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    mineral virginia
    I don't think this is right place for this question.but here goes .today I made egg salad.peeling the eggs was a mess.was the eggs to fresh.all came from the last few days.i know by now you think this is funny.laugh all you want,is there a secret?

2. Just for the record I did chuckle when I read your post. But I understand it is not too funny. Sounds like, indeed your eggs were too fresh.

If you can leave an egg for 10 (after being laid) They will be much better to hard boil and then peel. Most store bought eggs are older so they tend to be easier to work with even the day you buy them if your comparing.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Try putting a tablespoon of salt in the water when you boil the eggs. That will draw some of the moisture out to the eggs to make them easier to peel. then you can roll them on the counter to crack the shells, then use a spoon to shuck them out of the shells.

4. nannie

nannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    mineral virginia
    thank everyone for advice.wll gladly take it I will hold eggs next time for 10 days and try again.i hope with better luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by