1. Tubbys Lil Farm

Tubbys Lil Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    This egg is out of one of my 18 month old hatchery Amber Stars, this started a few months ago, then it would clear up and now it has started again, She has been getting Organic Layer ration, scratch (treats), yogurt, oyster shell (free choice), she is also free ranged. This is the first one that I have seen with the long attachment.

Any suggestions on what is causing this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have several layers and this is the only hen that is having this issue.
    Thank you
    RO

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    oh no! is the egg laid like that, or did you crack it open???? and, it looks like that is a fertilized egg. do you have a rooster????? I cannot give you much advice until i know. sorry!!! [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are several causes for soft shell eggs. Calcium and vitamin D deficiency, over weight hens, older hens, stressed hens, and in a brand new layer. I would feed vitamins in the water, and make sure she has plenty of extra calcium available by placing crushed oystershell or egg shells in a can near the food and water for free choice. Also check the feed bags to make sure they are fresh, as old feed can lose vitamins quickly.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Chickens seem to especially love crushed egg shells. It works well to bake the egg shells, then grind them up in a coffee grinder.

5. Tubbys Lil Farm

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    Quote:Thank you for responding, This is how I found the egg this morning, I did not tear it open.There is really no shell to crack. I do have a rooster. RO

6. Tubbys Lil Farm

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    Quote:Thank you, I will look for liquid vitamins to add to the water. I will also check the feed, I did not think of it maybe not moving quickly throw the supplier. RO

7. Tubbys Lil Farm

May 21, 2012
    N. Idaho
    Thank you to all that submitted a response to my situation. I have started the liquid vitamins today in their water, and I have started to collect my egg shells, to bake and grind. I will watch her for a time and see if we have any change. Thank you again. RO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by