Egg problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dustponds10, Sep 19, 2010.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok so here is what is going on. I just got some hens that started to lay and I am running into a problem with the eggs. they are cracking on the pointy side of teh eggs. here is a picture of my lay boxes. I try to keep wood chips in them but they keep getting tossed out. Any suggestions? I am feeding two kinds of food. Some stuff that our local mill says has all the calcium I need for strong health eggs. I am also feeding a manufactored pellet that is for laying hens. Well, If you could get me some advice for stronger eggs shells that would be awesome. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Some hens need more calcium then the "normal" range found in most feeds. It's easy to fix though, just put a bowl (I use an old rabbit feeder hung low in the coop) of oyster shell out free choice for them . The ones that need it will eat it and the others won't. Oyster shell is pretty inexpensive so I consider it cheap insurance. You can also crush their eggshells and feed them back to them for extra calcium.

ETA: Your nesting boxes look plenty tall enough that you could add a higher lip to the bottom of the openings and that should help to keep the shavings or whatever you want to use inside the nests where it belongs.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Put outdoor carpet squares in the nests.

4. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    like the green stuff? Will I have to still put straw in them or will that carpet be good enough to pad the landing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by