Egg production and anatomy question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So...something interesting happened today.

First, my ducks are getting more crafty at trying to escape when I go to pick them up. XD They lost again.

Well anyway today I got curious about them. I'd been thinking about, 'why don't I have eggs yet'?

And so I went and caught the first female, and felt up her lower abdomen. I was trying to maybe figure out what was up. I noticed there was a sort of tough almost hard bulge in the bottom near the vent.

I'm guessing this is where the eggs form? is this your understanding of things also? (It felt natural and normal. It wasn't anything that shouldn't be there.) But I also don't know at what point these develop. And is this a signal that you are getting eggs soon?

After noticing this on the first female duck, I went to the other one, and caught her. Sure enough she had the same thing, but hers wasn't quite as hard, but still it felt more bulged and hard than the surround soft areas of the duck.

(I did not check the males for this. Haha.)

Curious what you veterans might have to say about this, and with how this relates to egg production.

Thanks.

You might start by looking up the keel of a duck for your question on the hardness.

Really the only way to know when your girl is going to start laying is when you have another egg in the morning clutch.

Back
Top Bottom