Egg production cut by 75%

thebulg

Chirping
Aug 20, 2015
North carolina
We are in zone 8, on the east coast. We aren't supplementing light, so I was expecting a drop. We have 4 hens, all arouND 7-8 months old. Our buff orp hasn't laid in 2 weeks and our wyandotte is laying once every 3-5 days. Rhode islands are about every other day, which was more what I was expecting. I've looked everywhere, can't find a pile of hidden eggs, and they appear completely healthy. Is it normal for the larger birds to take a very big break?

I was thinking about adding some heat (just the tin can, closed with a light bulb in it) or wondering if I should be adjusting their food intake, or if I just need to put a tarp around the coop, or if this is normal.

Yes, it's normal. Lower daylight hours and production will not be at it's maximum. The number of eggs you get will start growing after the solstice and the days start getting longer. The good news is we are almost there!

I have around 50 birds and am getting 2-3 eggs a day. I have many birds finishing up on their molts. 2 of my birds just started back up from molting, so I'm getting an egg every other day from them.

I wouldn't bother with any heat, they don't need it....your waterer might if it's freezing and they can't drink.

If you free range you might want to confine them for a week or so.

Several of my yearlings are done molting and they have 15 hours of light and still are not laying. Good thing the pullets are putting out!

Last edited:
I live in South Dakota and have 12 hens and 18 pullets. My hens are out lying the pullets with the overall egg production dropping by more than half since the cold weather started. My Easter Eggers are part of the pullets, but I haven't seen a colored egg in over 2 weeks. This is my first experience with this breed so I wasn't sure if this is typical in the winter time. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom