Egg production down, demand up!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Littlecimarron18, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    My egg production has dropped in half in the past 3 weeks. And is it like that time of the year for hens to go broody. there are 10 that want to be broody, jerks. lol. i let 5 of them hatch out chicks and now i am over run with the little farts. But anyway, those 10 only cout for a portion of the non layers, is it the heat thats slowed them down? I dont really know what else it could be.. nothing else has really changed. Is any one else seeing a loss?

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Yes, I'm sure it's the heat.. we're melting down here.I'm lucky to get a couple of dozen eggs a day.
    Some of my hens are going thru a molt
    I don't blame them for slacking,lol. I don't feel like doing much either.
    How old are your layers?

3. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    well some are one year and the others are 8 mos. about.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Once it cools down some and the humidity go's down your egg production should go back up [​IMG]

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Not sure where you are at in Colorado, but it is close to 100 today for us. There has been no let up with the heat with more then 18 days of 90+, no rain, nothing..... So maybe it is the heat.

6. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    can heat prevent hens from beginning to lay cause my 23 week old dominique and rhode island red still arent laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by