Egg production down, when will they start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dianneS, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Okay, I think all of my birds have just molted or are molting. Egg production has stopped altogether. The days are getting shorter, the weather is getting colder.

I read that hens are never as productive again as they were in their first year! This book recommended getting a whole new batch of hens every year!

I'm not getting rid of my girls, but when will they start laying again? I've been giving them layer feed all this time, and they are free range. I just cleaned out the hen house and the nest boxes, everything is so nice, and they're not using it!

When will they get back to work!?

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I would reccomend layer feed ONLY with pleanty fresh water.... Avoid any new changes(even extra cleaning or painting).

Add at least 2 hours daylight to their day by using a light on a timer in the MORNING.

I'm sure they will get back to it soon [​IMG]

For the light you can use a simple timer like this:

[​IMG]

3. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Thanks. I was thinking about adding a light, but wasn't sure how to do it. That's great to know to extend their day in the morning hours.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would not force them to lay during the winter months, it would "shorten" their laying years and not having a long life.

My girls would start laying in Feb, all the way thru beginning to mid Oct, then a heavy molt from all of the girls or most of them which I switch the feed to Flock Raiser for more protein and then back to Layena once they start laying. They do need this break otherwise it is not good for them unless you mainly want eggs all the time and rotate your girls every year.

5. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Good to know. Mine have been molting. I will switch their feed, that's a good idea. If they start laying in February, that is good enough for me. I just wondered how long it would take them to get back to it!

Is it true that their production is never quite the same after their first year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by