Egg production explosion!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lengel, Apr 7, 2009.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    All of a sudden, there are eggs everywhere! My turkeys are laying, one of the pullets started laying and even all of my geriatric hens are putting out one a day. In addition to my laying hens in their prime of course. Once the rest of the pullets and the guinea hen start in, we're looking at 26 a day! What was I thinking? Actually, I was thinking that predators would get more of them this winter but thanks to DH's amazing tractor construction, not so.

We can't sell eggs here without a permit of some kind so until I figure that out, I'm foisting as many as possible off on the neighbors but I'm stumped at this point. I know everyone asks this all of the time, but what am I supposed to do with all of these eggs???

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Are you sure you need a permit to sell on your property? here we can sell on farm just not off it with out a permit and a license

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Scramble them, cook them up ( I use the microwave, just cover well) crush the shells into them, mash it together and feed them back to the chickens. Great protien supplement.

4. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:It's a rule for people who live in the town limits. It's ridiculous but if I put up a sign, I'd have people from the town here in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  5. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Quote:That's really great idea, especially for the eggs that look weird.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    to bad you don't have anyone from church, work, or anyone else you know you could quietly sell to. I've sell by word of mouth.

7. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

We feed them to our dogs, too. Do you need a permit to give some away? Or barter them? In other words, if money doesn't change hands, do you need the permit? Before I got hens of my own, I traded sewing for eggs, vegetables for eggs, and babysitting for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by