Egg Production Food in the Winter, is this O.K.?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pw30, Nov 7, 2010.

1. pw30

pw30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Plymouth, WI
    I feed my Chickens food to enhance Egg production. Can I continue this during the winter to keep my supply of eggs or is it best to stop for a few months? I live in Wisconsin.

Thanks for your opinion.

2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Chicken egg production slows in winter due to shortening day length, they need about 14 hours of daylight for maximum production. Feeding them small amounts of food/table scraps should not hurt them, but unless you add supplemental light, the egg production will still reduce in winter.

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hi,
    My birds free range. I know they pick up a bunch of high protein bugs while free ranging, along with lots of tasty greens. In winter I give them sprouts, alfalfa meal, and extra protein rich treats/feed, because up in my neck of the woods the snow is deep for a long long time..[​IMG]

ON

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Regardless of the time of year, when a hen's body is tired of laying eggs and needs a rest, she will go into molt on her own. Nothing you feed her will keep her from molting. Even lights won't stop molting. However, the better a hen is taken care of, the shorter her molt will be.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:What foods?

6. Caseman

Caseman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Quote:What foods?

I want to know also[​IMG]

7. pw30

pw30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Plymouth, WI
    I feed them food from a local feed store that states it enhances egg production. I also give them scratch that has corn and oats in it and a little old bread each night. They seem to love the bread the most. Is the bread ok for them?

Thanks for everyone who posted advice. I appreciate it.

8. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Bread is low low low protein... It is filler it will not make more eggs. Same goes for scratch. If you want the maximum eggs limit the treats, which includes scratch. Think of high protein treats... Deer hunt? Chickens love venison scraps!

"Meat is the treat for eggs"!
    ON

9. pw30

pw30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Plymouth, WI
    Never thought of that. Your right. I'll need to cut back on the bread and find some protein treats. Any good cheap ideas? Day old bread was great from Walmart. I'm sure I'll get some Venison after deer hunting. Any other good ideas?

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

sunflower seeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by