Egg production gone to pot!

chickenwoods

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
**||OKLAHOMA||**
Is it just the lesser amount of daylight that fall is bringing causeing my hens to lay horrible... I was getting 8,9,10 eggs a day...now im getting 3 or so a day....I was out in the barn petting the hens and asking them what was the deal,but they just said bawk..

Mine too sorry to say. Between molting and the shorter days we haven't had too much egg activity.

I figure they're probably due a break though.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who's hens aren't laying as well as they did. Before and during most of the heat in August I was getting 8-9 eggs a day from 11 hens, now I'm lucky to get 1-2 since the end of the heat wave. I hope they pick up soon. If my sussexes would start laying it would help. I've got one that was hatched in March that still hasn't layed an egg.
th.gif

Georgia

I thought my egg production was down then I found this

P1070289.jpg

P1070285-1.jpg

I noticed it while working around the coop the other day.
I have seen a prod.red, and a Cali Gray sitting up there. I don't know if they are laying only or sitting. Would they take turns sitting? The pile is larger than what one bird can sit on as well. they are up in the eave of the coop.

WOOPII, i got 4! (sarcastic),

ahahhah, i can just see you catching her in the act!! lol with that guilty look on her face!! I love hens that have huge wattles! It cracks me up.

I wish i could at least find a big hidy hole full of eggs,but ive looked everywhere!, i done have anywhere up high they could lay on,,my brooder has a round top,so all eggs that where layed on top of it would roll off down on the floor..

I thought that First year layers would lay through winter??,or was it they will lay but only 1 or 2 eggs a week..
sad.png

If i cant keep up the egg production im gonna lose some of my loyal customers..but not loyal enough to go without eggs on behalf of my hens LOL:D

My six hens quit laying about a week ago. I figure, thanks to the advise of some other members, that it is the short days. I finished gettin' some electricity to the coop today and I got a light on a timer. I was told that 12-14 hours of ligt a day is necessary so I guess I'll just wait and see if the light works. If so I'll let everyone know so you may shine some light on your birds too.

Back
Top Bottom