Egg Production Halted

gachickenlady

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Hi there. I've had my flock for a little over 2 years, and in the spring, two of my five hens stopped laying. One is only 1.5 years old and the other is perhaps 2.5-3 years old. The other three hens are b/w 1.5 and 3 as well and are laying fine (about 5 eggs/week/hen). I can't figure out why these two stopped laying. We live in intown Atlanta, and they free range in a well-fenced backyard with organic layer feed and water constantly available. They also get worm treats a couple of times/day. They have good shade and sun to pick from as they choose, and a spacious coop for bedtime. They seem normal otherwise.

A friend suggested I try adding oyster shell to their diet, which i've done for about 6 weeks now. No change.

Any ideas?

We don't know the brand or breed of your reluctant hens. Old timey or old fashion hens, sometimes referred to as "HERITAGE" chickens may well have stopped laying until next March or even April. This is especially true of your older hens. Today is the 3rd of September and older "HERITAGE" hens should soon begin moulting if they haven't already.

Free ranging will not improve egg production. If it did then every egg in the grocery store would be a free rang egg.

Back
Top Bottom