Egg production has gone WAY DOWN. Help please.

tripletmumm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Hood River, Oregon
My hens during an average day will lay about 2 dozen eggs. During peak production, will lay around 30 a day. For the last 3 weeks, I am lucky if I get a dozen out of my ladies. It is the middle of summer, so it's not a lack of light. Our summer has been rather mild, so it's not from extreme heat. I make sure they have food and water every day, and they are not in a moult. I now have 6 broody hens who I have been trying to discourage for a few weeks, but other than that can see no reason for the drastic drop in my production. I even added 5 additional laying hens into the flock, and haven't seen a rise in production.

Anyone have any thoughts? My customers are getting a bit antsy at my lack of eggs for them.

If the 5 new hens were added recently it could be that part of the drop in production is from the change in the dynamics of the flock. You're down 6 hens due to broodiness, and it's a huge change for the 5 new ones so I wouldn't expect eggs from them for probably a week or two at least, and the rest may be stressed by the new hens and the upset in the pecking order that introducing new chickens means.

The new hens have only been with the flock for a week, so I don't think that is the culpret. But you are right about the stress of it all adding to the mixture.

Back
Top Bottom