Egg production hasnt slowed down a bit, should I add artificial light?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laneofsteel, Nov 25, 2014.

1. laneofsteel

laneofsteel New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    We have 3 red sex link hens that we got over the summer. They are still producing 3 eggs per day with no added light in their coop. We'd like to keep up the pace with 2-3 eggs/day throughout the winter, but since they haven't slowed down a bit, I was just wondering if I should even worry about adding artificial light in their coop.

thanks!
    Matt

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The old saying - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

This is clearly their first winter, next year and each thereafter will be a different story. You may need to add light then but each year they'll molt (usually autumn) and during that time light won't help. They need to replace feathers and won't lay then.

3. laneofsteel

laneofsteel New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    Thanks for the response ChickenCanoe! Sorry, I should have been more clear. We bought them from another owner who purchased them from a Tractor Supply store in March of 2013, so this is their 2nd full winter.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well good. Sex links are pretty productive. Did they molt this fall?

5. laneofsteel

laneofsteel New Egg

Nov 25, 2014
    I think that one of them did. We came home and there was a big pile of feathers in the middle of the yard. I thought a hawk got one, but they were all ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by