Egg production is down...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cspano0109, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Cspano0109

Cspano0109 New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    So for some reason hens aren't laying very much anymore. I have 7 of them and about 4 weeks ago I was getting 4 eggs a day but now I am getting 1 a day or 1 every other day. I though it might be because they are laying them around the yard so I shut them in the coop for 3 full days but still only got 1 egg a day.

Two of the hens are 7 months old and the others a 5 months old so shouldn't they all be laying every day? It's been hot, but not awful here in South Florida. I was told that that might have something to do with it, but it's actually starting to cool off a little and they seemed to be laying more when it was hotter! Is there something they aren't getting in their food? A missing mineral or vitamin that might cause them to stop laying? Or is this just what chickens do, the eggs come and go? When there is an egg it's really wonderful, no weird shapes or imperfections in the shells so I don't think they are lacking calcium. I'm just not sure what's going on, they all seem so happy, shiny and healthy!

Thanks!

2. same thing here in NE OHio.... 8 hens and 1 or 2 eggs per day the last month or so. Mine are 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 yr. olds.......WTH??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by