1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Production Way Down - Don't Know Why

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggheadsRus, Jun 24, 2011.

1. EggheadsRus

EggheadsRus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi Ya'll,

I have 12 Australorp hens that used to give me a minimum of 2 dozen eggs a week and now I'm lucky if I getting 6-8 eggs. This has been going on for the past month or so. I know that heat can sometimes affect egg production but I've had these girls for two years and the heat didn't bother them at all last year. I live in MS where it gets hot and humid in the summertime (earlier than normal this year). Does anyone have any ideas why they have almost come to a complete stop in the egg department? [​IMG]

EggheadsRus

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Environment
    Molt

As much as we'd like, they aren't little machines. I've also had a drop off in my egg production .. I contribute it to heat and increased predator harrassment ... I can work on one, but not much I can do about the other ..

Good luck!

3. EggheadsRus

Jun 22, 2011
    Quote:Age: they will be 2yrs old end of July -- should they already be going way down in production?

Feed: we give them layer pellets, scratch 2x day and they have a small container of oyster shells

Environment: besides the heat things haven't changed much in the past two months. The only predators we get are snakes as our dogs and the pigs keep everything else away. I have caught a snake in their run before and their egg production didn't change.

Molt: don't they normally molt in the fall? a few of them do seem to be molting now as they have no feathers on their necks... at least I assume that is molt [​IMG]

This is seriously affecting my egg sales as I have a standing order for 2-3 dozen a week, and now can't even gather up 1 dozen!! [​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

After their 2nd year molt production will decline. Sounds like you have some molting now.

Maybe you have a predator stealing some eggs. Snake? Crow?

5. EggheadsRus

Jun 22, 2011
    Quote:How long does a molt last on average? Hmm..might have another pesky snake stealing some eggs; definitely not a crow or anything else as they are enclosed in a run and we have a layer box for them so anything larger than a snake can't get in...

I heard that if you put sulfur down around the outside that snakes won't cross it, might need to try that.

EggheadsRus

6. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try deer neting around the run. the snakes would get tangled in it.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I saw a thread here the other day about using those old fashioned metal minnow buckets to catch snakes; evidently worked quite well. Like minnows, snakes apparently can't figure out how to get out of the cone shaped entrance. Have also read how well deer netting works; you need to sort of bunch it up around the coop. Molts can last a few months; like everything else, it varies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by