Egg Production WAY down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montana girl, Dec 1, 2009.

1. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    I have tried everything. Its as if they are on strike! I have had chickens for several years now and have always kept my girls happily laying during the winter. This year though, even with lights, I am getting next to nothing.

From 13 hens I am getting a egg or two a day.

Does anyone have any idea?

I am feeding the layena.. they have plenty of water, they get crushed egg shells for calcium.

I have tried the light so that they have 16 hour days.. and have also tried leaving it on 24/7.

Could it be weather related?

Advice is much appreciated.

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Feed Flock Raiser it has better protien at 20% and that is what hens need to lay. 16 precent layena is not enough. You can feed both which will bring protien to about 18% which is good.

3. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Are any of them moulting? It's common for pullets to do that this time of year. Just give them what they need and leave the rest up to them. I promise they will do their best![​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm getting 1-2 eggs a day from 6 hens.

My buttercup is molting really bad, so I just switched their feed to Flockraiser to give her more protein to get over the molt. It will be interesting to see if it bumps egg production in the others as well. I also decided to keep an excel spreadsheet to see which of the breeds I have do the best for winter laying. I know which hen all my eggs come from, they each have their own unique shape, color, speckles, etc.

I may keep them on Flockraiser, depending on how they do. I'm currently giving them feed that has oyster shell and bits of corn in it, and a lot gets wasted as they dig for the corn. So if the Flockraiser doesn't get wasted, I might keep them on it. (and keeping the oyster shell available)

5. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Flock raiser... got it! I am going to give it a try. Its just odd because I have never had the problem before.

Yep a couple have moutled, but most of them did that in late October.

Thanks for the advice!

6. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Wow im getting 100% of my eggs everyday

And thats with lows of teens and snow

7. Frog

Frog New Egg

Sep 2, 2007
    12 mature hens, 1 happy rooster and 2 ducks....but no eggs! I am experiencing a similar situation as the first postee....we had quite a bit of rain recently. I have never had such low production no matter the weather. I have even been adding millet to the feed to up the protein. (and they really like it!) but to no avail. Aaaahhh....

8. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Have 30 hens, been getting 16 to 18 a day since November. 25 to 28 in spring summer and fall

9. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Frog millet will not up your protien. I would try something else instead. Millets protien is only 4g to 1/2 cup. So if you are adding that to a low protien feed it is lowing it more.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  10. lane-h

lane-h Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    I haven't gotten an egg from my 3 easter eggers for 2 weeks now. My buffs on the other hand are like machines. 4 buff hens and I get 3 - 4 eggs a day from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by