egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BRYAN662, Apr 8, 2009.

1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    i had 16 laying hens that were laying between 11 and 15 eggs per day. i added about 15 more hens and another roo sunday. monday i had 24 eggs. tuesday we were back down to 15 and 15 today. what do you think? more time? most are r-reds jersy giants- wynedots-buffs and a few mixed. thanks for your info

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:A lot of possibilities here. Could be just the stress of their having to adjust to new chickens. It is possible a disease was brought by the new chickens and you haven't seen other symptoms yet. Could be an egg eating chicken, or snake or other predator. A human thief could be stealing eggs. I'm sure there are other possibilities, that's just what came to mind.

3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I would cuz you added 15 new hens. Anytime you change something that big will make them stop laying untill they adjust to their new way of life. Give them some time and they will start laying again.

4. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks for the help!

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    they will adjust in time shouldnt take to long you'll probably see a few more steadily till your up to full procuction. hope u have tons of eggs soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by