Egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sethsleader, Apr 18, 2009.

1. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Ive had my Hybrids for 4 weeks they are now 28 weeks old. They are in a run/coop during the night and free range for 5 hours during the day. Ive not changed their food of layers pellets a.m corn mix p.m with meal worm treats. We have gone from 3/4 eggs a day to 1. They are happy girls and don't appear to be egg bound though I have seen a couple of blood streaks in their poop. One hen is a bit loose! All hens are fully vaccinated wormed and paracite treated with Verm-X. Is it normal to have such a decline in egg production or am I doing something wrong?

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Are you sure they haven't found a better spot to lay during the day? Mine will all of a sudden decide to lay in the hay feeder or behind the corner of the goats stall. Sometimes they even get back to their nest boxes!

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    As they need fewer calories with increasing Spring warmth, they will eat less food.

Diluting the protein in their diet with high-calorie "corn mix" may not be such a good idea now.

. . . just my 2ยข.

Steve

4. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    ive been egg hunting in the garden, 0! I kept them in until 12 today got 3 eggs, I think they are having a laugh!! Or is it a case that if the free range A.M they dont lay??

5. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    I will stop giving them corn for a day or two to see if they get a move on, its all decking and patio here with 3 plants, I know it sounds a bit blah but its easy to keep clean with 4 kids,4 chickens and a dog! Thats why I give the worms, maggots and fresh veg. Are they too spoilt?

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I've been giving mine scratch and they're all still laying. Although it's not warmed up much here yet. I have some that lay in the am and some in the afternoon. Mine make a lot of noise when they get the urge to start laying. Even the roos join in. If I'm home, I try to notice where their laying song is coming from.

7. sethsleader

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    Back to three eggs a day, must have been the rain!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by