Egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mystang89, Jul 19, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Ok, so I've read the articles and know what the possible causes may be for no egg production but I can't figure out what the cause actually is. I have 5 white bantam leghorn hens. I am told they are about 8 months old. I brought them home a weak ago today (Tuesday 19th). I know that they take a bit to get used to their surroundings, new cage and environment etc but I'd kinda like to start seeing an increase in production here, especially when eggs are the reason I bought them. I don't know if stress is the reason they aren't doing well, I wouldn't think so though. They seem to no even notice me, my dog, my wife or kids anymore. I throw them a bit of scratch. I put ice in their water to keep it cool during these hot days. I make sure their food is filled up, poop stirred around,(deep box method,) they don't look ill, I don't see any flees, mites or any other bad insect around so far. Do chickens stop production or at least slow down production dramatically when it gets hot? Doesn't seem to me that they should but I really don't know. I don't think they are molting though I do see a feather here and there. They really haven't layed too many eggs to brood over plus I don't think I would know if they were brooding. They still have plenty of sunshine so the day hasn't gotten too short for them. I think I covered everything I've read so far. Here is a little chart of my 5 chickens.
    Tuesday 12 - 1 egg
    Wednesday 13 - 2 eggs
    Thursday 14 - 1 egg
    Friday 15 - 3 eggs (woohoo, thought we were getting some where)
    Saturday 16 - 1 egg
    Sunday 17 - 1 egg
    Monday 18 - 0 (no thats no an egg, thats a zero)
    Tuesday 19 - 1 egg
    I've got 5 chickens which is the max I'm allowed. I'd like 4 - 5 eggs please. Any help would be so appreciated.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Yes, chickens will slow down in the heat. Make sure they have shade and dirt / sand to lay in.

You got them a week ago? Give them a little more time to adjust.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Trust me, a week is not enough time for them to adjust. I have two hens that stopped laying for three months after being moved. It will take at least a few weeks.

4. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't even been able to proof read what I wrote before there were replies.
    I will give them more time before I start thinking of ways to eat them. [​IMG]
    Underneath the chicken coop seems to be their shaded-dusting-bath-cool-down-rest-area. I keep looking underneath that area just in case they decide they are lazy and don't feel like walking the 3 foot into their house to lay it but haven't seen one their yet.

5. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    You might want to take them and physically move them to their shade area. They might not want to go exploring yet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by