Egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yogi, Oct 12, 2012.

1. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I have 20 pullets 26 weeks old. They have been laying for about 2 months. I was getting 15 to 17 eggs per day. A few days ago I switched them to laying mash plus it has been getting about 30 deg at night. Their production has dropped to 9 or 10 per day. What do you think might be the reason?

2. Chickie-chan

Chickie-chan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Hens usually lay eggs when they think it is the best time to raise chicks and that is usually in the spring and summer. So when it gets colder and darker earlier, it's in them to start slowing down the egg production. Although I hear some do lay all winter long. I hope this helps, this is my first year, but I read about it.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Change is something chickens hate. The feed change can throw them off, but they'll likely recover, IF, IF the quality of the mash is equal to or better than the feed it replaced. Also, are you feeding the mash dry? If so, that too is an adjustment. We find that making the mash moist increases their appetite for it. They gobble it up lustily.

Yes, regardless of the feed variable, for certain the hours of daylight are fading in the northern hemisphere and THAT has a huge negative effect on egg laying.

4. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    i have aways kept a light on them 24-7

5. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    i am switching back to the 20 per cent and i keep the ight on 24/7

6. JarridLem

JarridLem New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    What kind of mash did you swith to? Mine have started to slow down on their laying too. I am considering increasing the protine in the feed I give mine. They are currently getting 16% I think. They are also molting some. I figgure that with all that going on it can't hurt to go to 20% protien.

7. yogi

yogi Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2012
    I don't know the brand but it was new to them. I was feeding 20% meat bird feed along with oyster shells. I switched to 16% mash. I have now switched back for a couple days and I got 15 eggs today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by