Egg Production??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SconnieChicks, Oct 18, 2013.

1. SconnieChicks

SconnieChicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    I have 7 hens and 1 rooster right now and we have had chickens for a year or so. I was getting average of 6 eggs per day and all of the sudden I am getting 1 or none daily. This happened once before during the summer but I found they had taken to laying out of the coop. I have searched all over and have not found an egg anywhere. Would anything cause them to all shut down laying at once??

2. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    How old were they when you got them? Chickens stop laying once they reach a certain age.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  3. SconnieChicks

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    5 out of 7 are less than a year old, so age should not be a factor.

4. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Well, it could be that they are molting. Do they look scrawny, and are they losing feathers? Also, what color are their combs and wattles? Are they paler than usual?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Does it look like a pillow exploded in their yard? Shorter daylight hours bring egg production down, molting usually stops laying completely.

6. SconnieChicks

Sep 23, 2012
    Range, WI
    they do not look to be moulting, they all free range all day and they go to the coop at night, I do have a light in the coop for longer light

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by