egg protection

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redandhen, Sep 8, 2010.

1. redandhen

redandhen New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi! I'm new to this so please bear with me. I have two wonderful chickens that we rescued for a slaughter house. 6 months after bringing them to the farm they started laying. We have been able to collect all eggs layed until last week, now Red refuses to allow us near the nest. She will litterally attack us. She hasnt even gotten off to eat. There are other chickens but we think they may be to young to mate. Can a chicken and a turkey mate? And what do we do about this? Any help will be greatly apprecieated!! Thank you!

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Sound like you have a broody hen, you can get her some fertile eggs and let her hatch them, or break her of it. I think from reading on here that it can be difficult to break a hen. You probably have to lock her out of the nest. Someone else with experience will probably give advice. Gl

3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Yep sounds like you have a broody! They only get off 1 time a day to eat, drink, poop and take a bath. Then she will run back to the nest!

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    A friend of mine gives a "time out" to broodies by removing them from their eggs. I think she has a couple of dog cages for this purpose. Although, I don't know how long they have to be in 'time out'.

And welcome to BYC, by the way! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by