Egg protuding with skin around it. !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Little Ameraucana Mom, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I have a sikie hen, when I went out this morning, I thought had prolapsed, but there is an egg hanging out with the skin around it. I've pushed it back in, but she pushes it egg and all right back out. This is either her first or third eggs. I've only gotten 2 eggs from this group, but I've already got one so she is either a new layer, or the one that layed the other two. She is about 6 month old.

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Is there any way that you can lube up the skin that is protruding to keep it moist and supple, and help that skin shift back (slowly) off of the egg? I'm a labor nurse, and I'm describing something I see doctors and midwives do for laboring women, as the baby is crowning. You would have to be very careful, and back off at the first sign of danger to the bird. If you have been gently pushing the egg back in, could you put a little bit of slightly warmed olive oil in her vent to help the egg slide out? I don't want to encourage you to do anything dangerous to your bird, but it sounds like she is having difficulty. Keep us posted, and good luck!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wouldn't push it back in, that could cause more damage. I had a blue cochin that did this on her first egg. If it is a thin membrane cover the egg, I put a slit in it with a knife and slipped the egg out. That was over a year ago and she lays just fine. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Quote:Did you sew if back up or just leave it. I've tryed to gentle work it around, but that isn't working, I was just thinking of cutting a small slit to get it out, but didn't know if I should just leave it or try to sew it up.

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Egg is out and hen is resting. I guess time will tell if she will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by