Egg quality issue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msands5, Apr 24, 2017.

1. msands5

msands5 New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    Howdy...this is my first post. Anyway, I have an Orpington and an Ameraucana who have been laying for about a month. They are free range and get a fair amount of treats (spinach, peanuts, tomatoes), but not enough that I consider it excessive. Anyway, when the eggs are hard boiled, the whites come out very squishy even though the yolks are nicely cooked. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Nothing to do with the birds. How are you boiling them?

3. msands5

msands5 New Egg

Apr 24, 2017
    I boil them as I do store-bought eggs. Bring to a rapid boil and then remove from heat. Let them sit about 15 minutes.

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Maybe you are just use to store bought eggs. I can't tell you the difference cause I don't eat store eggs.

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I think it may be to do with freshness of the eggs. Store bought eggs could be 3-4 weeks old. The whites go runny as the eggs get older and will take less cooking as a result. With your own eggs being so fresh, the whites will take more cooking.
    Most people seem to boil for 5-6 minutes and then cool rapidly with cold/ice water.
    Your problem is most likely more to do with your own egg quality being better than you are used to with store bought eggs and either adopt a new technique for cooking them or keep them a few weeks before you boil them.... I generally use up older eggs by boiling and keep the fresh eggs for frying, baking etc. I find that they peel better after boiling if they are older too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by