Egg Quality

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 284stak, Sep 9, 2009.

1. 284stak

284stak New Egg

Sep 9, 2009
    I started to allow my chickens to free-range on our propery about 6 wks ago. They are constantly eating grasshoppers and scratching through horse manure. I have pellets and crumbles available free-choice along w/oyster shells. With 9 hens, I avg 4-6 eggs/day. They don't seem to eat much of the pellets or crumbles, so I throw them a little scratch also.
    The eggs whites have become noticeably more watery and the yolks slightly more pale compared to before free-ranging ---- is this normal? The eggs still cook fine and taste great. What are the common causes of watery whites when cracking an egg - not cooking them.
    Thanks

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    The most common cause of watery whites is an older egg. Are you collecting them quickly and refrigerating?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. 284stak

284stak New Egg

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks for the link. I did get two older red sexlinks recently and a mid-age wyandotte --- not all the eggs are like that, but I suspect it coulde be from the sexlinks, they are 2 yrs old.
    I'm in UT with low humidity, we p/u eggs around 4pm everyday - so the age/breed reasons so most likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by