Egg quality

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bkbuz1987, Aug 29, 2008.

1. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Hi,
    Not sure if this is right place to ask but I saw some questions on this board about soft shelled eggs so I thought I'd ask about egg quality.

My girls are new to laying, we get many different sizes, some double yokers that are pretty big and some teeny tiny ones. The shell are nice and hard, good color, bright yellow yolk I think they are good quality eggs. But whenever we boil them they just don't want to peel. Why?

Should you let the egg cool from warm chicken tempurature to room temp before refridgerating them? I know you don't have to refridgerate but we do. Is it because they are still "young eggs"? Is it the diet? What's going on with my eggs?

PS... they are RIR and Buff Orpingtons

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Thank you very much. Who knew my eggs were too fresh!!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My solution has always been one of 2 ways -

1. Collect some eggs and put them in the back of the fridge a few weeks in advance of wanting deviled eggs for a family style, in-laws coming, type meal.

2. Add tons of salt (1/4 cup or more) to the water and boil the fresh eggs with a splash of vinegar.

So far so good.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I poke a teensy hole in the top of the egg, using a salad fork with just the tip by my finger tip. I bounce that tine off the end of the egg until it just barely penetrates, held back by my fingertip so that it won't make a big fracture or huge hole. Seems to work

6. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    When I was growing up, we had an 'egg poker'.

You would put the egg in to the roundish area and press down, and it would poke a tiny hole in the round end of the egg. Really helped with peeling after boiling.

I wonder if you can find one of those nowadays?

7. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Had noticed the many posts about hard to shell fresh eggs. We really like egg salad. So wasn't looking forward to the hassle.
    Well Mom's way works with fresh eggs. Her secret-- quench eggs in cold water right off the stove. Colder the better. Our well water is about 60 degrees. Keep add cold water till you can't feel any heat through the shell when you hold one in your hand. Really helps the egg shrink in side the shell. Tap the egg shell all over and or roll it around on thecounter top. Only had one out of nine that took about 1/8 inch layer of the white off the big end.

8. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    I find to boil about 6 eggs max in a pot, if doing many I use a couple of pans separated by 10 min or so. take the eggs plunge into ice water and peel immediately...shock fractures the shell a bit..this works well with BO eggs!

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Chicabee 19...I just had my mother hunt me down one ''in the city'' Yes, specialty stores carry the egg piercer. We expermented by poking two (3 day old) eggs one on the small end and one on the large end. After boiling and dunking them in cold water, they peeled better than I expected.
    Linn Co., Kansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by