Egg quantity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by junkman56, Jun 26, 2019.

1. I have 14 hens, 6 are red sex links 2.5 yrs old, the rest of the flock are 1 yr old 2 are black sex links, 2 buff orpington , 2 are bared rock, 2 are golden laced wyndottes,
    My egg production seems to be pretty low, they recently had coccidia and worms, they been treated and that is all cured now. But out of 14 hens I only seem to be on an average getting 5 to 6 eggs a day, yesterday I only got 3 eggs.
    When I only had 7 red sex links I was getting 6 to 7 eggs a day. Should i be concerned

2. courtsmarans

courtsmarans Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    NW Ohio
    for my flock anyways, it's normal for me to not get one egg from each bird a day. That and with your flock recovering from an illness they just might not be ready/quite healthy. I had a girl who was under the weather and didn't start laying again until a month or so after she started feeling better.

junkman56 likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, that's about what I'm getting right now....about same ages but no high production breeds.
    Do you free range?

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Certain breeds don't lay daily so what your getting is possibly normal.

junkman56 likes this.
  5. I just started letting them out of their run (50x25) and letting them free range

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If they've been ill it can take several months to get back into their normal laying cycle again.

junkman56 likes this.
  7. Thank you

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Glad to help. Hope they even back out for you.

junkman56 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: