Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mylied, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I have 2 seven month old easter eggers and 2 seven month old guineas. About a week or so ago, I started seeing a new small pale brown egg in the nest box. I didn't think guineas laid this time of year (though I'm in Georgia if that makes a difference) and I thought they had to be a little older. So I assumed one of my easter eggers was laying brown eggs. Yesterday my husband discovered 3 light blue eggs under the coop, so obviously an easter egger. Could the brown one came from a guinea or do you think one easter egger is laying brown eggs and the other blue?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Blue eggs Brown egg

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Try cracking the egg. If it's extremely hard to crack it's a guinea egg. They technically shouldn't be laying this time of year but every so often one might be odd. If it's not hard to crack, you have a brown-laying Easter Egger. They do exist - Easter Eggers are a type, not a breed, and have mixed genetics. I'd venture 20-30% of EEs lay brown or pink.

3. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I've already eaten the light brown eggs and they crack like normal. Boo. I bought 12 easter egger chicks and only ended up with two hens. Of course only one of those would lay blue eggs. :p Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by