Egg question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by smoon, Jul 4, 2016.

1. smoon

smoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    In a few weeks I hope to have some fresh eggs in my coop for the first time ever! My question:

If I keep my beloved little cockerel that is already dancing for my hens... Will there be any difference at all in the eggs? Will it cause blood to be in my eggs? Also, If I see a speck of blood, can I still cook the egg safely? Just trying to prepare for what I may see in a fresh fertilized egg, since I have never eaten one before! I've never had a fresh egg at all, for that matter!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Your eggs will be perfectly fine to eat :D
    Your cockerel will not cause blood or meat spots in the egg. They occur when the yolk is released from the hens ovary. It may rupture a blood vessel on release and that blood spot becomes encased in the egg. Here are what fertile and non fertile eggs look like ~

[​IMG]

Fertile eggs are also safe to eat. Wishing you the very best of luck and I really hope you enjoy your first ever fresh egg! You really can't beat them!

3. smoon

smoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Thank you so much for the information and the very helpful picture! Looks like I get to keep my sweet little roo! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by