Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER, Aug 5, 2009.

1. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER Hatching

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    How long are the egg's good for in the coop before I can get to them ?? My girls are starting to lay but there isn't any normall time that they lay , So I leave early in the a.m. and sometimes am not home untill dark . I check in the a.m. before work and have gotten 0 ... I look when I get home and have 1/2 doz or better a day . So are these eggs good to keep still or should they get tossed ???

Thanks for any input...... Upstate

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Keep them. They're good for more than 24 hrs.

3. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Even if it was ilke 85 outside ?? I appreciate the info [​IMG].I really didnt want to throw them out .

4. Lesa

Lesa Songster

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Where are you in upstate? I am near Utica. The eggs will definitely be fine. You can always do the float test, if you are unsure. Not everyone can check their coop 3-4 times a day. Enjoy your eggs!!

5. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Broadalbin ny ... Float test ?? Im geussing if it floats its stiil good ?? I have never heard of this ....

Thanks .... UPSTATE

6. Vermontmaple

Vermontmaple In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Beautiful Vermont
    I have been told eggs are good for 2 weeks out on the counter. I would think you wouldn't want them in the high heat for over 24 hours but does anyone know about inside? My friend doesn't put her eggs in the fridge; she leaves them out on the counter for 2 weeks.
    Any thoughts?

7. Raisinghens

Raisinghens In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Hi Upstate Chicken Chaser, if the eggs float they are rotten. When a hen is left to her own devices she will lay a number of eggs, one a day until maybe there are 12 ( it can be any number )in her nest and then she will go broody ( not all hens will ) and sit on her eggs ( when she is broody her body temperature rises and this gets the chicks started and growing in the eggs ) Why I am saying this is that her eggs are fine all the time she is laying one a day till she goes broody. There will be a limit of how long they will be fine but for your concern of not being able to collect them until you get home you do not need to worry. Have a lovely day.

8. UPSTATE CHICKEN CHASER

May 7, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Thanks for ALL the great info .... This is awesome I'm glad that I can keep them all . The one's that I have kept are well in the time frame , I have wanted to eat them but wasn't sure if I should . FRESH EGGS IN THE A.M.[​IMG]..

Thanks again .... Upstate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: