Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fuzzypea, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Fuzzypea

Fuzzypea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Hey everyone!

I have a question about eggs. I tried to whip up some egg whites today using my chicken's eggs (NOT STORE BOUGHT), but they didn't whip right. In fact, they didn't really whip at all. [​IMG]

The eggs were fresh from my coop, so I dont think that they were too old....

What was wrong with them?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They were too fresh.

3. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Seriously?

(to the too fresh) I've never heard of that. It helps to have a cool bowl, and add cream of tartar. Sometimes my egg whites won't whip, it just takes a WHILE.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Seriously. I let eggs that I intend to use for baking sit out on the counter for awhile, to "age" them faster. Same goes for eggs that I intend to hard boil.

5. 8wishbonechicks

8wishbonechicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Thank you for that tidbit of information for whipping egg whites. I learned something new today and everyday here in the forum. Now for the holiday baking.[​IMG]

6. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Seriously. I let eggs that I intend to use for baking sit out on the counter for awhile, to "age" them faster. Same goes for eggs that I intend to hard boil.

How long do you suggest 'aging' them on the counter? My hens haven't started laying since I got them, even though they are old enough, so I have not tried whipping their egg whites yet. But good to know, for future reference.​

7. VredenburgS

VredenburgS Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    Reed City, MI.
    I recently read that if you want to hard boil them , you're supposed to let them age 2 weeks in the fridge first...not sure about room temp though...sorry...[​IMG]

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I remember reading a while ago, but I am getting old and dust is gathering between the brain cells, but I think I recall reading that they do not refrigerate eggs in Australia? They are on the counters at the market, not the refrigerated section.
    My cousin just leaves them out on the counter for a week. I am not real comfortable doing that, but if enough people who do it say it's okay, and they aren't dead yet, then I will try that also. I have a LOT of baking to do.
    I need some old eggs.

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Actually this should be under egg recipes. Those ladies are SO SMART!
    I guess some of them are men too. It's hard to tell, but anyway, maybe you can get the tread moved?

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have cobwebs clogging up the old brain housing too, but if I'm not mistaken one day on the counter is equal to one week in the frig. We are one of the few countries that refrigerate their eggs. I know that and I still refrigerate, unless I intend to use them that day. Old habits are hard to break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by