Egg Question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jul 11, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My pullets were still on the amprolium food until yesterday... can we eat the few eggs they just started laying or do we have to throw them away?

2. Veggie4life55

Veggie4life55 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    I switch our chicks to a chick feed without antibiotics a few weeks after being born. But if One is on antibiotics I always through the eggs out for the next few days to a week just to be safe.

Update....
    OK... I take our chicks off medicated chick feed early... not antibiotics... sorry.. I miss spoke... But I still don't eat any eggs from any chickens that have had medication of any kind.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Amprolium is a vit b blocker not an antibiotic and I would/have eat the eggs. They may or may not be a bit lower in vit. b's then they would be otherwise but nothing there that's going to hurt you. Love those first eggs!

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Awesome thank you! [​IMG]

5. Veggie4life55

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    OK... I take our chicks off medicated chick feed early... not antibiotics... sorry.. I miss spoke... But I still don't eat any eggs from any chickens that have had medication.

6. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    YOU CAN EAT THOSE EGGS that is not antibiotics just a blocker.....nothing wrong with feeding it right up to lay either if you ever had chickens die from cocci all your time poof gone enjoy your eggs

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would have taken them off it sooner but the feed store i was going to only had medicated starter or layer... so they got medicated starter for a long time. Needless to say I found a new feed store! NOW NO CHEMICALS OR WEIRD STUFF IN THE FOOD!!! [​IMG]

But now they are old enough they don't need it anyway. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  8. Veggie4life55

Jul 11, 2010
    West Virginia
    I know how finding feed is. I shop at three different suppliers for our food. Last year our chicks ate medicated feed right up til they started laying. Then I found another small feed store that keeps non medicated feed. So this year I put them on medicated for I think 12 weeks and than switched them slowly. Then we get some of our other add ins like sun flower seeds at another feed store. I was wanting organic feed but none of the stores around us sale it. Tractor supply said they can order it in but they mark it up. So its around $30 a 50lb bag and I can't afford that right now. We use Purina's Layena ($14 for 50lbs) for our laying Hens. And the Starter Grower Sunrise w/o Meds for our chicks. But we do start our chicks on Medicated Purina start and grow feed just in case. All of our chicks have been healthy.

I didn't say you couldn't eat the eggs. I just said I don't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by