Egg Question...

I switch our chicks to a chick feed without antibiotics a few weeks after being born. But if One is on antibiotics I always through the eggs out for the next few days to a week just to be safe.

Update....
OK... I take our chicks off medicated chick feed early... not antibiotics... sorry.. I miss spoke... But I still don't eat any eggs from any chickens that have had medication of any kind.

Last edited:
Amprolium is a vit b blocker not an antibiotic and I would/have eat the eggs. They may or may not be a bit lower in vit. b's then they would be otherwise but nothing there that's going to hurt you. Love those first eggs!

Awesome thank you!
big_smile.png

OK... I take our chicks off medicated chick feed early... not antibiotics... sorry.. I miss spoke... But I still don't eat any eggs from any chickens that have had medication.

YOU CAN EAT THOSE EGGS that is not antibiotics just a blocker.....nothing wrong with feeding it right up to lay either if you ever had chickens die from cocci all your time poof gone enjoy your eggs

I would have taken them off it sooner but the feed store i was going to only had medicated starter or layer... so they got medicated starter for a long time. Needless to say I found a new feed store! NOW NO CHEMICALS OR WEIRD STUFF IN THE FOOD!!!
wee.gif

But now they are old enough they don't need it anyway.
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how finding feed is. I shop at three different suppliers for our food. Last year our chicks ate medicated feed right up til they started laying. Then I found another small feed store that keeps non medicated feed. So this year I put them on medicated for I think 12 weeks and than switched them slowly. Then we get some of our other add ins like sun flower seeds at another feed store. I was wanting organic feed but none of the stores around us sale it. Tractor supply said they can order it in but they mark it up. So its around $30 a 50lb bag and I can't afford that right now. We use Purina's Layena ($14 for 50lbs) for our laying Hens. And the Starter Grower Sunrise w/o Meds for our chicks. But we do start our chicks on Medicated Purina start and grow feed just in case. All of our chicks have been healthy.

I didn't say you couldn't eat the eggs. I just said I don't.

Back
Top Bottom